All New Electronics
Self Teaching Guide
Electronics Projects & Circuits
Tutorials and Information
Key to Your Schematics
The Right Supplier
Speaking of Gadgets
Projects For Dummies:
Link to Us
Visit our other Website
Lecture Notes - Chapter 11
Power Supply Circuits
(These Lecture Notes are for courses using the book the Complete
Electronics Self-Teaching Guide with Projects. Instructors of
courses using that text are permitted to use these Lecture Notes as-is
or adapt them for their use).
- Diodes in AC Circuits produce Pulsating DC
- Review the ability of diodes to pass current in only one
- Discuss a simple circuit consisting of a diode and a
resistor in series (figure 11.3).
- Discuss the output signal for the circuit shown in figure
11.3 (figure 11.8).
- Introduce the term: recitification.
- Introduce the term: half-wave rectifier (figure 11.11
- A half wave rectifier converts an AC input signal to a
pulsed DC output signal.
- Introduce the term: full-wave rectifier (figure 11.15)
- Discuss the output of a full-wave rectifier (figure 11.16)
- Introduce the term: out of phase (figure 10.4).
- Introduce the term: bridge rectifier (figure 11.17)
- Discuss the flow of current through the bridge rectifier
(figure 11.18 and 11.19)
- Project 11.1: The Full-Wave Rectifier
- Discuss the objective of the project.
- Review the circuit diagram (figure 11.21 and 11.22).
- Review the test setup (figure 11.24).
- Level DC (Smoothing Pulsating DC)
- Discuss the sections of a power supply (figure 11.31).
- Introduce the term: AC ripple.
- The function of the smoothing section of a power supply
is to take the pulsating DC and convert it to a pure DC with
as little AC ripple as possible (figure 11.32)
- Discuss the effect of capacitor C1 on the
pulsating DC signal (figure 11-38 and 11-39).
- Discuss the calculations to determine the value of R1.
- Discuss the calculations to determine the value of C1.
- Discuss the calculations to determine the value of C2.
- Discuss the calculations to determine the amount of AC
This page includes material extracted, by permission
of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, from Complete Electronics
Self-Teaching Guide with Projects, ISBN: 9781118217320.
Copyright © 2007 - 2012
Hawk's Perch Technical Writing, LLC - All rights reserved