Lecture Notes - Chapter 5
(These Lecture Notes are for courses using the book
Complete Electronics Self-Teaching Guide with Projects. Instructors of courses
using that text are permitted to use these Lecture Notes as-is or adapt
them for their use).
Fundamentals of AC Circuits
- The Generator
- Discuss the sine wave (figure 5.1).
- Introduce the term; function generator.
- Introduce the terms; Vrms, Vpp, and Vp
- Discuss the equations for Vrms, Vpp,
- Introduce the terms; cycle, and period (figure 5.4).
- Resistors in AC Circuits
- Discuss the use of Ohm's law with AC signals.
- If voltage is given in rms, then calculated current is
in rms, and vs. versa.
- If voltage is given in peak-to-peak, then calculated
current is in peak-to-peak, and vs. versa.
- Review the use of the voltage divider equation with AC
- Capacitors in AC Circuits
- Introduce the term; reactance.
- Introduce the equation for the reactance of a capacitor
- The unit of measurement for reactance is ohms (Ω).
- Discuss the voltage divider circuit consisting of a resistor
and a capacitor (figure 5.6).
- Using the Oscilloscope
Review the parameters that an oscilloscope can measure
Discuss the control panel settings
Review how to measure the period of a waveform.
- Show the equation to determine frequency from the
- Discuss the use of two channels to capture waveforms at two
locations in a circuit.
- Discuss how to measure the amplitude of a waveform.
- Introduce the term phase shift.
- The Inductor in an AC Circuit
- Introduce the term; inductor.
- Review the equation for the reactance of an inductor (XL).
- Introduce the term; resonance frequency.
- For a circuit containing both a capacitor and an
inductor in series the resonance frequency is the frequency
at which XC = XL.
- Discuss the equation to calculate the resonance frequency.
- Introduce filters and oscillators as circuits for which
calculation of the resonance frequency is necessary.
This page includes material extracted, by
permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, from Complete
Electronics Self-Teaching Guide with Projects, ISBN: 9781118217320.
Copyright © 2007 - 2012 Hawk's Perch Technical
Writing, LLC - All rights reserved